The Sahel Research Group organizes regular seminars on Friday from 11:45 to 12:45 in 109 Rolfs Hall. Our seminars are open to everyone interested in the Sahel.
Upcoming Sahel Seminars:
– January 25, 2019. Organizational
– February 22, 2019. Dr Dinah Hanaford (Texas A&M University), Race, Gender, and Development in Dakar, 471 Grinter Hall (Abstract).
– March 8, 2019. Dr Leonardo A. Villalón (University of Florida), report on Senegal elections (cancelled)
– March 15, 2019. Dr Mathews Paret (University of Florida), Niger and WASCAL visitors Willi Adzawala & Mamane Bello Garba Hima, Climate change economics and social dynamics
– March 22, 2019. Carter Conference. Energy AFRICA: Technopolitics and Technofutures. 9:00 in 404 Grinter.
– March 29, 2019. Dr Clionadh Raleigh (University of Sussex), elite networks in Africa (flyer).
– April 19, 2019. Judd Devermont (Center for Strategic and International Studies)
– May 8-24. Luce grant Summer Institute on Lived Islam in Africa
– May 20-24. Symposium on the future of laïcité in the Sahel with guests from Niger, Mali, Chad, Burkina
– Fall 2019. Peter Tinti (independent journalist)
Past seminars and guest interviews:
– November 16, 2018. Dr Frédérick Madore (University of Florida). Current dynamics of Islam in Burkina Faso
– October 26, 2018. Joe Penney, independent journalist and photographer; cofounder of Sahelien.com.
– October 12, 2018. Dr Olivier Walther (University of Florida). Mapping women’s trade networks in West Africa.
– September 28, 2018. Dr Kelley Sams (University of Florida). Public health initiatives and the circulation of medications in sub-Saharan Africa.
– April 20, 2018. Ambassador Alexander M. Laskaris (US Department of State, AFRICOM). AFRICOM’s current activities in the Sahel.
– March 30, 2018. Dr Alex Thurston (Georgetown University). Iyad and Alghabass: The Shifting Boundaries of Jihadism in Northern Mali.
– March 2, 2018. Dr Fallou Ngom (Boston University), Dr Fiona McLaughlin (University of Florida). Ajami and other writing systems in the Sahel.
– February 16, 2018. Dr Matt Kirwin (US Department of State). Insecurity and Migration in the Sahel.
– December 15, 2017. Lt Col Yssouf Traoré (Malian army and US Army War College). Perspectives on the Malian army and the G5 Sahel.
– October 20, 2017. Ibrahim Yahaya Ibrahim (University of Florida). Pastoralism and Jihadism in the Sahel.
– October 13, 2017. Awa Doucouré (Gaston Berger University). Higher Education Reforms in Senegal.
– September 15, 2017. Dr Olivier Walther (University of Florida). Cities and Borders in West Africa.
For more information, please contact Emi Moore