The Sahel Research Group organizes regular seminars on Friday from 11:45 to 12:45 in 109 Rolfs Hall. Our seminars are open to everyone interested in the Sahel.
September 14. Sahel Research Group Introduction Session
September 28. Kelley Sams, University of Florida. “Public health initiatives and the circulation of medications in sub-Saharan Africa.”
October 12. Olivier Walther will discuss the OECD-UF project on “Mapping women’s trade networks in West Africa.”
October 26. Joe Penney, independent journalist and photographer; cofounder of Sahelien.com.
November 16. Frédérick Madore will discuss his research and the current dynamics of Islam in Burkina Faso (tentative)
December 7. Topic TBA
December 13. Symposium on future directions for research on the Sahel
– April 20. Ambassador Alexander M. Laskaris and Russ Schiebel (US Department of State, AFRICOM). AFRICOM’s current activities in the Sahel.
– March 30, 2018. Dr Alex Thurston (Georgetown University). Iyad and Alghabass: The Shifting Boundaries of Jihadism in Northern Mali.
– March 2, 2018. Dr Fallou Ngom (Boston University), Dr Fiona McLaughlin (University of Florida). Ajami and other writing systems in the Sahel.
– February 16, 2018. Dr Matt Kirwin (US Department of State). Insecurity and Migration in the Sahel.
– December 15, 2017. Lt Col Yssouf Traoré (Malian army and US Army War College). Perspectives on the Malian army and the G5 Sahel.
– October 20, 2017. Ibrahim Yahaya Ibrahim (University of Florida). Pastoralism and Jihadism in the Sahel.
– October 13, 2017. Awa Doucouré (Gaston Berger University). Higher Education Reforms in Senegal.
– September 15, 2017. Dr Olivier Walther (University of Florida). Cities and Borders in West Africa.
For more information, please contact Emi Moore