The Sahel Research Group organizes regular seminars on Friday from 11:45 to 12:45 in 109 Rolfs Hall. Our seminars are open to everyone interested in the Sahel.
Fall 2018 schedule: September 14, September 28, October 12, October 26, November 16, December 7 (names of speakers and topics will follow soon)
– April 20. Ambassador Alexander M. Laskaris and Russ Schiebel (US Department of State, AFRICOM). AFRICOM’s current activities in the Sahel.
– March 30, 2018. Dr Alex Thurston (Georgetown University). Iyad and Alghabass: The Shifting Boundaries of Jihadism in Northern Mali.
– March 2, 2018. Dr Fallou Ngom (Boston University), Dr Fiona McLaughlin (University of Florida). Ajami and other writing systems in the Sahel.
– February 16, 2018. Dr Matt Kirwin (US Department of State). Insecurity and Migration in the Sahel.
– December 15, 2017. Lt Col Yssouf Traoré (Malian army and US Army War College). Perspectives on the Malian army and the G5 Sahel.
– October 20, 2017. Ibrahim Yahaya Ibrahim (University of Florida). Pastoralism and Jihadism in the Sahel.
– October 13, 2017. Awa Doucouré (Gaston Berger University). Higher Education Reforms in Senegal.
– September 15, 2017. Dr Olivier Walther (University of Florida). Cities and Borders in West Africa.
For more information, please contact Emi Moore